Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lorry-Rory-Story



  I taught today for the first time.
6 classes of 40+ students [3rd grade and 5th grade]. I teach a total of 21 classes a week. That's a lot of repeating myself and a big gap between the next time the class sees me. 840+ students for 40 minutes once every week... Well it should be interesting to say the least. Every class had it's ups and downs but I can 'confidently' say I totally think I can do this...right?
At least I look good.
Our thoughts on the first day in facial expressions
Rain ...Rain.. Go away... I didnt pack for this on anyday!
Teacher-ed up
I deserve a medal for the best left fingernail painting job in the history of ever.
Meow
 The best news is while teaching in one of my 3rd grade classes, a bright student began to shine above the rest. SERIOUSLY this kid was as smart as the translators they have helping us at the school. At first I thought he might be a trouble maker because as the class grew a bit loud and restless he ran to the front and started yelling in Chinese. I thought he was being a class clown but by the end of his sentence all the kids were back sitting down quietly. He looked at me and smiled. He was helping me out! Now some people hate teachers pets but lemme tell you, Teachers do not! He was so helpful throughout the whole class! Translating my instructions to the class and answering all of my questions.
   I was very nervous when I learned I was not going to have an assistant/translator to help me in the classes. I imagined what it would have been like when I was 9 year old if some African had come into my class trying to tell me she loves Pizza and Cats in Swahili! I prayed that all would go well and that they could understand me and... BOOM! This KID!
 I asked the name of this little Eisenstein and smiled as he cheerfully said "My Chinese name is Lin Hao My English name is Rory."!

:D
(for those of you who don't understand this is exciting because I have a close friend named Rory who is currently serving a mission. We left on the same day.)
The sliiiight downer to this beautiful story is that he then spelled his name for me and it's actually Lorry. But still, in the moment, I was stoked .

The rest of the day was a successful-ish blur I was happy to get out of alive.


The day did wear on me and honestly I was crying with anxiety during my goodnight Skype call with the parentals. The prospect of another day of yelling my name and CATS and PIZZA to confused, cute, Chinese children was an overwhelming one. Then ... Knock Knock Knock... "class is canceled because of placement tests... we are going to the city tomorrow".
  God really does know how much I can handle. Thank heavens. The PIZZA-CATS-LIBERTEE yelling will have to wait until my next class all the way on Monday.
 I am so blessed and I wish I remembered it more. I'm not saying this is easy, but as soon as I do my part, God prepares a way for me to accomplish the things which he asks. He doesn't give me more than I can chew [though, He cuts it pretty close sometimes].
Speaking of chew... I get to go to the STORE! I don't think any human has looked forward to a a trip to the super market this much and cup-o-noodles never sounded so good.
 Nanchang... here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment