Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Prison, Ponderings, ... And a word Wyatt hates.



The following post was written in frustration. I have added updates before posting.
       I used to wonder what it would be like to live in Prison... Guards at the gate, rock hard beds, cold rooms, showers are just a cave with a drain in the floor and for food they just heat up garbage and feed it to thousands. I don't wonder anymore. 
Just Kidding... its not that bad here. The food is though. It's terrible. Hairy pig ears, fish complete with fins/eyes/scales and bones, and chickens from the heads to the toes(even crunchy talons) then its rolled in oil til its soggy and cooked in a kitchen that looks like a gas station bathroom then set out to get cold and served to 6,000 people. I haven't eaten much in the cafeteria here.(no update: still gross)
  
It would all be well if I could go to a restaurant for dinner or stock up on cup-of-noodles at the store but they won't let us leave! Literally! (update: they explained that they wanted us on campus for good P.R. with the parents of the kids.)
    I imagine we will be released soon. Maybe I will get offered parole for good behavior. They told us 3 hours ago that they would come get us to teach and they still haven't.  (Update:They never came that day. The following night we got our schedules.)
 
It's a really fancy prison, but it's prison. I'm in CHINA! I wanna go explore! 
 If things don't change soon I'm bustin' out. I've seen Prison Break. I already  started my tattoos.
(Update: Obviously if I were to get a tattoo in China it would be of myself as Mulan, not a map of a school.)

UPDATE UPDATE!THIS JUST IN! As I was typing these updates I got the Newest Update. My fellow Americans ventured a great escape and were successful!  That's right ladies and gentlemen! After 5 days of being trapped on campus WE ARE FREE! (to cross the street to the store... we shall see about going into town)



The next paragraph is a new outlook on life... not really. It's just an attitude adjustment for me and my new way of seeing things.


 Mentally burn my prior posts. I need to stop clarify something. I am in CHINA! This is friggin WILD! I like to share how crazy and different it is here and I realized it sometimes sounds like complaining.
 It's a whole new world here. It's CHINA! But make no mistake I am so glad to be able to be a part of it, from my frizz ball head (forgot to pack hair tools) right down to my freezing toes!
Some things that sound like complaining are just astonishing-surprise-wonderment-shock.
 For example: Little kids here wear pants with slits in the butt and when they need to do what they need to do they do it. RIGHT where they are. Parents carry around plastic baggies and tidy after their children (like puppies) and the world goes on.( I have tried on several accounts to capture this magic on film but I am a bit skittish when it come to photographing anyone doing their business). But the point is this bizarre system totally works for them. Am I complaining... no. Is that normal to me? NO. Is it "wrong". Not necessarily (some may argue on this)... It's just different.
 That's my new Motto. "It's different, not wrong".
If my prior posts all seem like I am Negative-Nancy I am sorry. I am having fun here! It's just a special kind of fun full of surprises along the way.
How can you convey a positive attitude on Street-Doodies? It is what it is and I type it that way, but I am not complaining.
(fun fact: the first time this happened to us we were walking the streets of Shenzhen and a child was relieving himself over a sidewalk grate. The ...article... being released from the child almost landed on our friend Jake's foot, who was not watching where he was going.)

No comments:

Post a Comment