Tuesday, June 11, 2013

No longer a Teenage Dirtbag

Our performances for Children’s day went swimmingly. Despite some minor missteps and SURPRISE FIRE SPARKLERS nearly blinding us during our dance, it is always fun for me to be onstage and my heart thanked me for the familiar and always thrilling rush. Being backstage was almost just as fun. Here are some shots I snapped of my little stars on and back-stage:
Us in our Children's day performance garb...
And Tim (he always wants to be in our pictures)
Lory is still my favorite student... and everyone else's too apparently.
HE'S ALWAYS EVERYWHERE!
Like the Eloise of the Plaza
He is the Eloise of Mayflora
Here he is in his little stud suit
HE WAS A HOST!

 
I gave one of my flowers away to a little girl (not one of my students) that was SO into ALL of the numbers she was in. She would shake it with all she had and mouth every word! I caught a Creeper-Cam picture of her admiring her flower later in the hall. I'm sure she wondered why I chose her to give it to (because I didn't know how to translate "You're the best one and my favorite even though I don't even know you")

(pictures of us actually dancing will have to wait for when/if we get our copy of the DVD)
Another pleasant surprise was when we found out we won a 50yuan cash prize for our performance of ‘In the Jungle’. We didn't even know there was a contest so… cool!



Although I've been to amazing places here, seen breathtaking sites and had interesting adventures (growing and changing plenty along the way) the things that make me happiest still remain the same. The choice example here: my LOVE for singing. I LOVE IT! So, naturally, when we went to a Karaoke establishment called KTV with some other Teachers it was the most fun I've had in China yet!
I was vibrant with the ecstasy singing gives me. I let joy bubble up through every cell in my body and out my vocal chords. In a small room with a couch on one wall and a Flat-Screen on the other, disco-lights bouncing about to the music, I got to sing and laugh away my troubles. I also feel it must be stated that I missed my family more than the usual amounts in that moment of time because they’re my favorite people to sing for :).


It was by chance we ended up spending the day with these teachers. They just happened to be at the Bus Stop the same time we were and we ended up talking. They were oodles of fun! They took us to a local restaurant and even treated us. 
We continued our Children’s Day celebrating at KTV and afterwards went grocery shopping. They were silly! I liked that. When we started to talk about school, they asked us how our classes went. Appalled by our tales of misbehavior, struggle and neglect, their condolences and empathy had WAVES of affect on me! I haven’t needed SUPERMAN to come and make everything better and pamper me, but no one (at the school) had even shown the slightest concern or bother about us, so it was very much appreciated that they were so caring. We stayed in town all day. Egg (yes that’s his name) called a school van to bring us back. We didn't have to huddle on a cramped bus or get ripped off for being white… all in all it was Success and a lovely surprise of a day, The perfect way to start the weekend of my Birthday celebrations. 


We attended a special meal on Sunday that Tim had arranged on the 2nd floor for my birthday. He had invited Tessa and Caroline and most of the dishes there were ones we (the Americans) have said we liked. It was a cute, quaint little party and I quite enjoyed it. After Tim was done he left us and we loitered in the room sharing stories and laughs. We even had a tiny cake. I had a practice go at my wishing. The real wish came about on my Chinese birthday.

I say Chinese because, as Aunistee reminded me, I was born in America so this was my Chinese birthday. The day went about as normal [no, the kids weren't magically well-behaved and eager to learn]. I did get to watch TANGLED in one of my classes while I got my hair played with, which was nice. Noelle, Garth and Kirsten prepared me a wonderful birthday dinner of 'bacon'(ham)wrapped chicken, mashed potatoes, bread and apples in yogurt. As Noelle always needs to point out it's not the same as in America, haha, but it's always lovely to eat a whole dish and know exactly what everything you just ate was... [And frankly I thought it WAS just as good as what I could've whipped up in America, so there!]
Thank you mates! It was wonderful!
After that the guests arrived (Caroline,Tessa and 2 students). The gang got me a 'xi yang yang' (pronounced SHE-Ya-Yang) cake. It's an extremely popular children cartoon here of an adorable sheep. I don't understand the show but I love it. Caroline got me some crackers and some sweet face-cards. Then I got a SWEET face full of Cake! MORDIDA! The candle flower malfunctioned and so I blew out my birthday torch. I opened the package from home and everyone had to try some real sour candies (SO funny)... Afterwards I called home, shed some 'I love you' tears and went to bed. PaRtY AnImALs!!!!
and now I'm 20!
Thank you to everyone who made my birthday magical! 
Special THANK Y'ALL for the foodz and the buying me the cake! 
Thank you family [Mom<3] for the package. I got all I ever wanted PLUS a T-shirt... Which I stuck my head in and smelled the whole first day I wore it because it smelled like home. 
Thank you anyone who knows me . I'm glad I was born and got to meet you. 
I am grateful for my life! I love it. Everyday is a blessing and I thank my Father in Heaven for giving me another. May I use them to better myself and the world around me. 
20 years...This time I had a great wish when I blew out that torch-of-a candle. 
....


The next morning I SLEPT IN! 
 I woke up halfway through 3rd period. I had already missed 2 and 1/2 classes I was supposed to teach. I was worried about it for a minute and contemplated going  to the last 1 and a half periods, but then I thought  “Eh, Happy Birthday to me”... (because it was my AMERICAN birthday). It’s not something I would usually do. Rory wrote me a song once with the lyrics: “It’s OK to say you need a day off... better to be rested than work, work, work until you’re dead”. I did need a day off and I have been so much happier since! No one has said anything to me about it anyway so, no harm done.
I know this seems like a silly thing to write about, but to me it's a Huge-Tiny victory. I can never say 'No' and I would rather self-sacrifice than let people down, but that's not healthy. I'm not saying "DONT SHOW UP FOR WORK WHENEVER YOU'RE A LITTLE TIRED!" but more... Know your limits. I think I'm learning mine... so... that's cool, It's like I'm sort-of an adult... type...person...(even if I look up how to properly adopt a cabbage patch kid). 

Later that day a student named Jack knocked on my door asking me to teach him some hip-hop moves. For some reason I've acquired the reputation of being a good dancer here. Honest to goodness, I do not know why. I taught him for a while and impressed him with my Rapping skills. I am now the Chinese Nicki Minaj. 



Other exciting Events include: (Please read in the voice of an excited announcer spokesperson)

I was featured on the CHINA HORIZONS Facebook page:


We found pictures of ourselves on billboards at the school:

I ate Mac and Cheese:


I painted my nails cool:



I made a wish on the bus at 11:11:


These door handles were an L and an A (I LOVE YOU AUNISTEE!):

We found a place by Wal*mart that sells smoothie-type things that we liked:
 We found this:

 I took a photo by this oddly placed goat statue in a mall (I LOVE GOATES)[not spelled wrong]:
 We found and went into another dress shop:

 I stood by a wall:
My 3rd graders made me a cool hat and I wore it to every class afterwards:
 Noelle and I stumbled upon a Heroin Den:





If you get anything out of this post... I hope it is the new tradition of I get 2 birthdays now.



No comments:

Post a Comment