Monday, June 24, 2013

uninspirational

Today is my last full day at my school. Bags are packed, I'm ready to go....
The last days of teaching were fine. Mostly I just didn't even tell my classes it was my last day. I prefer to disappear and pretend they care rather than find how much influence I didn't have. The classes I did tell barely winked an eye at the news so I told myself it's because they don't understand that I am not returning next semester. A few of my favorite kids (yes I play favorites) hugged me and asked me to take them with me. They were the kids I stayed here for.
Here are pictures of me with my kids (favorite and non alike)


It was sure an adventure teaching them all, but no tears were shed on my last days (unless you count when I watched Tangled, but I always cry at that beautiful movie). I learned what I could here and now it's time to start a new adventure.I will always remember them though.




During the weekend we held a "goodbye" party for the people who we'd come closer to (Tessa and her student posse, The teachers from the KTV day and Caroline and her boyfriend). We made french-toast (best we could) and experimented with the blueberry muffin mix mom had sent to make "pancakes". Everything was messy but sweet so we gobbled down what we could. We also drank Kool-aid or Lemonade from bowls because we don't have pitchers for mixing and the cups are tiny.




On Sunday Tim came over and "taught" us how to make dumplings.... but really we didn't make the dough or help prepare the meat, we just stuffed them and then they were boiled. It was really fun, but then all the sudden Tim was like "clean the table" "go downstairs and get bowls and chopsticks" "set out the chairs" and we were like... why? apparently we made all of these dumplings for his family dinner (we got some too) but still it was weird. It was like if I came over to your house to teach you how to make a cake and then started bossing you around and telling you to put up decorations and blow up balloons because I was having a birthday party! All was well though because we had a million dumplings so there was more than plenty and his family is really nice.






My experience in China was very difficult, but a great opportunity that taught me a lot and I made the best of it.
Was it what I expected? No, but it was what I needed to grow. I'm sure I will have days where I miss it, but I am ready to move on.
It was NOT perfect, but it was perfect for me. I learned a lot about myself, living away from home, a new culture etc.. I know most people expect me to say things like: “I love love love love the people and the culture blah blah blah” but for me it was just alright. My personal experiences and memories here are what made it life changing. Although, it was cool to learn the culture and be a part of it, I just didn't particularly love or hate it. I am glad that I came though. I don’t know if that even makes sense. I would say this is more of a “look-back-on-with-fondness” type experience.

There is a YouTube video of a kid being interviewed about basketball, but he misunderstands when they asks "what is your favorite part" and he thinks they said "park". He then begins describing a park near his house and how he can swing really high there. After he (adorably) goes off about unrelated topics he finishes the interview by saying "and I LOVE BASKETBALL!". I feel like that is what I will be like when people ask me "how was china"... I'll just end up saying weird things and then say "and I love China!"
So that's that.


Sorry if you wanted something more inspirational.




No comments:

Post a Comment